||ISPA | International Society for the Performing Arts
The International Society for the Performing Arts (ISPA) is a global association of arts management leaders, who come together with the shared goal of strengthening the arts internationally by building leadership ability, recognizing and discussing field-wide trends and new developments, and deepening global exchange through the arts. We achieve this through professional congresses, leadership development programs, resource sharing, and exchange.
Guided by a strategic plan, ISPA supports more than 500 members in 60 countries around the globe. In addition to two annual congresses, ISPA supports multiple leadership development programs and regional events. With a small but committed team of five, the work environment is positive, collaborative, and encouraging of initiative.
Position and Responsibilities
Reporting to the Chief Executive Officer (CEO), the Manager of Membership and Events (MME) is responsible for all member services including development and retention. This position is the front-line in responding to a diverse and growing membership. A key component of membership services are ISPA events primarily although not exclusively, as manifested through two annual congresses. The role will also involve the strategic development of new membership services. In this multifaceted position, the incumbent will also be responsible for managing information technology as well as working with the CEO in developing strategic initiatives. Specific responsibilities will include:
ISPA has a diverse membership of 500 individuals representing some 60 different regions. Ongoing and effective communications with this membership is a critical aspect of this position.
- Nurture and strengthen relationship with members, including understanding of sector-wide needs and priorities
- Develop an annual strategy to meet membership revenue and participation goals and provide an end-of-year analysis
- Maintain and strengthen member benefits program;
- Develop effective promotional materials to promote ISPA membership
- Produce weekly membership dashboards and quarterly membership reports for CEO/Board review
- Work with the CEO in the development and implementation of new strategies for membership development;
- Facilitate the Membership Committee, working closely with the Committee Chair, to ensure an effective and productive working relationship
ISPA holds an annual Congress in January in New York and an international Congress mid-year. Working with the CEO, this position is key to the logistical implementation of the January Congress and provides important support and liaison to the international hosts:
- Manage all registration activities including the development of the registration website interface, onsite materials and all front of house functions on site
- Participate in planning meetings and facilitate overall production
- Create RFPs and recommend vendors and supply partners; manage relationships
- Coordinate production of the printed program, solicit advertisers
- Respond to special needs for Congress attendees as well as speakers and guests
- Develop and maintain a timeline for effective Congress planning
Communications and Information Technology
With a geographically dispersed membership, information technology (IT) plays a key role in ISPA’s effective communications and management. This position oversees all aspects of IT and communications management including:
- Providing strategy and oversight for all external communications
- All website design, content and activity in coordination with the Communications and Events Senior Lead (CESL)
- The ongoing and effective operation of computers and related hardware and software; making recommendations for equipment management and replacement as necessary
- Management of the CRM and introduction of capability improvements in coordination with the CESL.
Working in a team environment, this position plays a key role in the effective and smooth operations of the organization:
- Oversee the day to day management of the organization in the absence of the CEO
- Manage the marketing of the organization including the development and placement of such materials, advertisements and other promotions that may effectively benefit the organization and its members
- Development and maintenance of applicable operating procedures to effectively and accurately ensure smooth operations
- Supervise one full-time staff position (CESL) and interns as applicable
- A diploma or related university degree
- Four years’ experience in this or a related role
- A demonstrated appreciation and knowledge of the performing arts in a global environment
- Experience organizing/producing events
- Experience supervising staff
- Facility with technology, HTML, databases and MS Office programs and a sense of IT best practices
- Well organized, self-starter, creative, idea generator
- Work well in a team environment where a very small staff are responsible for a variety of tasks and initiatives
- Attention to detail and the ability to work on many initiatives for different stakeholders at the same time
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills
- Strong presentation, organizational and interpersonal skills
- A willingness and desire to travel
- A mastery of English and preferentially be bi-lingual
Full-time, 1-Year contract, with expectation to renew, competitive salary plus benefits
Manhattan with some travel. Applicants must be authorized to work lawfully in the United States.
ISPA is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.
Please click here to submit your cover letter including salary expectations and resume in a single PDF. The deadline for submission is October 25, 2019 at 5:00 pm EDT.
Please visit www.ispa.org for more information about our organization.